Stan the Man is the new US Open champion.!! Already having Australian and French Open in his trophy collection, US Open is the third Grand Slam for him. I do hope that Stan will be able to complete the Career Grand Slam soon.
In the final he beat world’s top ranked player Novak Djokovic in 4 sets. Djokovic took the first set and it looked like it is going to be one sided match. But Stan is very dangerous player. I feel rising to the occasion is Stan’s specialty now. So he fought against odds and ultimately he is our champion. J
The journey to the final was not that very easy for him. In the third round he was down with match point against Daniel Evans. During semifinal – it was raining and newly made stadium roof was being closed which might have made Stan lose his focus. In the final, during fourth set when Djokovic took medical time out twice, Stan had his own problems and he was suffering quietly. After facing all these obstacles victory seems so special in the end.
My dear readers, I would like to share what Stan said after winning Champions Trophy.
You have to accept to suffer and you have almost to enjoy to suffer. Because I think this Grand Slam was the most painful, physically and mentally Grand Slam that I ever player. As I said, I was feeling tired already at the beginning of the match. I was feeling the cramp coming in the third set. In the fourth set I had some pain but most important was what was clear with Magnus (his coach) before was not to show anything. Not to show anything. Give everything and keep fighting and go try to win it.
img credit USA today
I was not keeping well so could not post any new posts recently. Now I am back on track. 🙂 Let us get started.
The recently concluded US Open has new women’s champion this time. The German Angelique Kerber wins US open for the first time by beating Karolina Pliskova 6-3, 4-6, 6-4.
Due to time difference, I was unable to watch the live match. That is one of the biggest drawbacks of living in different continent. I wish I could time travel. 🙂
For those who have missed the match like I did, here are the highlights:
Highlights – Kerber
- This is Angelique Kerber’s first US Open title.
- Angelique is the First German after Steffi Graf to win the US open since 1996
- Angelique has won this year’s Australian Open title as well. Read more here
- She was runner up in Wimbledon 2016.
- With US open title in her kitty, she is now ranked as the new world number Tennis player.
- At the start of the year, Angelique was ranked 10th in the world and now she has reached to the top.
- She is silver medalist in Rio 2016 Olympics.
“It means a lot to me. When I was a kid, I was always dreaming to be the number one player in the world and to win Grand slams and today’s the day!”
Highlights – Karolina
- Karolina Pliskova 6’ 2” is a Czech player.
- She is WTA tour player who is leading with 450 aces this year.
- On her route to the US open final, she managed to outplay both William sisters.
- This is Karolina’s first Grand Slam major Final.
“I found out, I can play my best Tennis on the big stages!”
Nothing succeeds like success! Welcome Angelique!
img source: newsroom.porsche.com